- He wondered every time at his sombre and enigmatic impression and, mistrusting himself, put off finding the explanation of it.
- Raskolnikov really was almost well, as compared with his condition the day before, but he was still pale, listless, and sombre.
- The pale, sombre face lighted up for a moment when his mother and sister entered, but this only gave it a look of more intense suffering, in place of its listless dejection.
- "Of course, I am an ass," he observed, sombre as a storm cloud, "but still…. you are another."
There are no more uses of "somber" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- Before she said anything, I knew it was bad news from her somber face.
- She wore a somber black dress to the funeral.
Go to more samples