- Outside, a man walking along the edge of the highway crossed over and approached the truck.
- Only the unbalanced sky showed the approach of dawn, no horizon to the west, and a line to the east.
- The sun cut into the shade of the truck as noon approached.
- A sedan driven by a forty-year-old woman approached.
- Muley watched the approaching lights.
- And now a light truck approached, and as it came near, the driver saw the turtle and swerved to hit it.
- One of them, stretching his neck, edged forward, ready to run, and little by little he approached Tom’s legs and sniffed loudly at them.
- Then footsteps, and a man approached.
- And at last Muley approached Tom.
- She untied the three-gallon bucket from the back of the truck and approached the squealing children.
Show more again
- In her half-sleep she heard footsteps approaching, but it was a man’s voice that started her awake.
- He looked up when Tom approached.
- And Ruthie cautiously approached the sanitary unit and peeked in the open doorway.
- At last she approached.
- They moved silently back at her approach.
- Very cautiously he approached the square of houses.
- He approached a great mound of wild blackberry bushes, leaned over and pulled a mat of vines aside.
- Wainwright and Al got to their feet and approached the door.
- Two deputies approached.
- He did not hear Joad approaching, for he was whistling solemnly the tune of "Yes, Sir, That’s My Baby.
- How ya?" The approaching man stopped, startled by the call, and then he came on quickly.
- " She didn’t look again, but she was conscious of the approach of the committee.
- Ma, don’t let her——" Ma turned and looked at the approaching figure.
- Who the hell’s comin’ here?" They watched the figure approaching in the evening light, and the dust it raised was reddened by the setting sun.
There are no more uses of "approach" in the book.
To see samples from other sources, click a word sense below:
as in: approached the city
to come near or nearer
as in: use the best approach
a way of doing something; or a rout that leads to a particular place
as in: approached her with the proposal
to speak with someone about something for the first time -- such as a proposal -- often something discussed in a delicate, tentative way