- The gentleman then beckoned to the young lady, and they, too, went out.
- He looked back over his shoulder, and beckoned them to enter.
- Mr. Lorry, who had gone out when the young lady and her father went out, now reappeared, and beckoned to Jerry: who, in the slackened interest, could easily get near him.
- Rendered in a manner desperate, by her state and by the beckoning of their conductor, he drew over his neck the arm that shook upon his shoulder, lifted her a little, and hurried her into the room.
- But, it beckoned him back in his sleep, and showed itself in shining forms.
- Madame Defarge beckoned the Juryman and The Vengeance a little nearer to the door, and there expounded her further views to them thus: "She will now be at home, awaiting the moment of his death.
There are no more uses of "beckon" in the book.
Show samples from other sources
- I should be studying, but television beckons me.
- The police officer beckoned me to come over.
Go to more samples