Go to New Version of This Page
This old version has not been updated since 2016,
but we're leaving it in case you prefer it.
Show What's New
Please update your links from the new version.
|Go to Book Vocabulary|
- When he had reached the schoolhouse voices again contending called to him. (not reviewed by editor)
- The baby policeman, Constable MacFadden, summoned by special courier from Booterstown, quickly restored order and with lightning promptitude proposed the seventeenth of the month as a solution equally honourable for both contending parties. (not reviewed by editor)
- A many comely nymphs drew nigh to starboard and to larboard and, clinging to the sides of the noble bark, they linked their shining forms as doth the cunning wheelwright when he fashions about the heart of his wheel the equidistant rays whereof each one is sister to another and he binds them all with an outer ring and giveth speed to the feet of men whenas they ride to a hosting or contend for the smile of ladies fair. (not reviewed by editor)
- …of some significance has apprehended but is conscious that that exterior splendour may be the surface of a downward tending lutulent reality or on the contrary anyone so is there unilluminated as not to perceive that as no nature's boon can contend against the bounty of increase so it behoves every most just citizen to become the exhortator and admonisher of his semblables and to tremble lest what had in the past been by the nation excellently commenced might be in the future not with… (not reviewed by editor)
- Mr Mulligan however made court to the scholarly by an apt quotation from the classics which, as it dwelt upon his memory, seemed to him a sound and tasteful support of his contention: Talis ac tanta depravatio hujus seculi, O quirites, ut matresfamiliarum nostrae lascivas cujuslibet semiviri libici titillationes testibus ponderosis atque excelsis erectionibus centurionum Romanorum magnopere anteponunt, while for those of ruder wit he drove home his point by analogies of the animal… (not reviewed by editor)
|To see samples from other sources, click a sense of the word below:|
|as in: She contended with it |
|as in: She contended that... |
|as in: She contended for the gold medal|
|To see an overview of word senses, click here.|
|Go to Book Vocabulary|
||Learn more easily. Think more clearly. Express more effectively.