(click/touch triangles for details)
- Is it possible to find a more submissive slave than myself?Chapters 51-52 (19% in)
- Keep your journey a secret; do not boast of what you have come to Paris to do, or have done; return with all speed; enter Marseilles at night, and your house by the back-door, and there remain, quiet, submissive, secret, and, above all, inoffensive; for this time, I swear to you, we shall act like powerful men who know their enemies.Chapters 11-12 (94% in)
- "My God," said Valentine, raising both her hands to heaven with a sublime expression, "I have done my utmost to remain a submissive daughter; I have begged, entreated, implored; he has regarded neither my prayers, my entreaties, nor my tears.Chapters 73-74 (18% in)
- However, this time, my tranquillity, or passiveness as philosophers say, proceeded from another source; it proceeded from a wish, like a submissive and devoted daughter" (a slight smile was observable on the purple lips of the young girl), "to practice obedience."Chapters 95-96 (13% in)
- Eugenie bowed, not as a submissive daughter, but as an adversary prepared for a discussion.Chapters 95-96 (22% in)
There are no more uses of "submissive" in The Count of Monte Cristo.
Typical Usage (best examples)