3 meanings, 6 uses
(click/touch triangles for details)
1 —1 use as in:
a contrary idea
- Napoleon was well aware of the bad results that might follow if the real facts of the food situation were known, and he decided to make use of Mr. Whymper to spread a contrary impression.Chapter 7 (11% in)
contrary = different
There are no more uses of "contrary" flagged with this meaning in Animal Farm.
2 —3 uses as in:
- A too rigid equality in rations, Squealer explained, would have been contrary to the principles of Animalism.Chapter 9 (9% in)
contrary to = in opposition to
Other Uses (with this meaning)
- Others asked such questions as ... 'If this Rebellion is to happen anyway, what difference does it make whether we work for it or not?', and the pigs had great difficulty in making them see that this was contrary to the spirit of Animalism.Chapter 2 (16% in)
- Napoleon had denounced such ideas as contrary to the spirit of Animalism.Chapter 10 (14% in)
There are no more uses of "contrary to" flagged with this meaning in Animal Farm.
3 —2 uses as in:
on the contrary
- Do not imagine, comrades, that leadership is a pleasure! On the contrary, it is a deep and heavy responsibility.Chapter 5 (76% in)
on the contrary = an expression used to intensify denial of an idea
- That evening Squealer explained privately to the other animals that Napoleon had never in reality been opposed to the windmill. On the contrary, it was he who had advocated it in the beginning, and the plan which Snowball had drawn on the floor of the incubator shed had actually been stolen from among Napoleon's papers.Chapter 5 (94% in)
There are no more uses of "on the contrary" flagged with this meaning in Animal Farm.