- The old man had, in the meantime, been pensive, but on the appearance of his companions he assumed a more cheerful air, and they sat down to eat.Chapter 11 (90% in)
- His countenance instantly assumed an aspect of the deepest gloom, and he replied, "To seek one who fled from me."Introductory Letters (68% in)
- She looked steadily on life and assumed its duties with courage and zeal.Chapter 3 (24% in)
- Justine assumed an air of cheerfulness, while she with difficulty repressed her bitter tears.Chapter 8 (89% in)
- Still, as I ascended higher, the valley assumed a more magnificent and astonishing character.Chapter 9 (81% in)
- I saw, with surprise and grief, the leaves decay and fall, and nature again assume the barren and bleak appearance it had worn when I first beheld the woods and the lovely moon.Chapter 15 (53% in)
There are no more uses of "assume" in Frankenstein.
Typical Usage (best examples)