(click/touch triangles for details)
- On her deathbed the fortitude and benignity of this best of women did not desert her.Chapter 3 (8% in)
- I am about to proceed on a long and difficult voyage, the emergencies of which will demand all my fortitude: I am required not only to raise the spirits of others, but sometimes to sustain my own, when theirs are failing.Introductory Letters (18% in)
- My father observed with pain the alteration perceptible in my disposition and habits and endeavoured by arguments deduced from the feelings of his serene conscience and guiltless life to inspire me with fortitude and awaken in me the courage to dispel the dark cloud which brooded over me.Chapter 9 (13% in)
- I must pause here, for it requires all my fortitude to recall the memory of the frightful events which I am about to relate, in proper detail, to my recollection.Chapter 20 (99% in)
- Not because the way was smooth and placid as a southern sea, but because it was full of dangers and terror, because at every new incident your fortitude was to be called forth and your courage exhibited, because danger and death surrounded it, and these you were to brave and overcome.Chapter 24 (59% in)
There are no more uses of "fortitude" in Frankenstein.
Typical Usage (best examples)