- And this, moreover, was a mother's estimate of the child's disposition.Chapter 15 -- Hester and Pearl (69% in)
- Here, one would suppose, might have been sorrow enough to imbue the sunniest disposition through and through with a sable tinge.Introductory (35% in)
- As a final disposition I contemplate depositing them with the Essex Historical Society.Introductory (66% in)
- Even had there been a disposition to turn the matter into ridicule, it must have been repressed and overpowered by the solemn presence of men no less dignified than the governor, and several of his counsellors, a judge, a general, and the ministers of the town, all of whom sat or stood in a balcony of the meeting-house, looking down upon the platform.Chapter 2 -- The Market Place (74% in)
- They were now illuminated by the morning radiance of a young child's disposition, but, later in the day of earthly existence, might be prolific of the storm and whirlwind.Chapter 6 -- Pearl (24% in)
- Pearl, in utter scorn of her mother's attempt to quiet her, gave an eldritch scream, and then became silent, not from any notion of obedience, but because the quick and mobile curiosity of her disposition was excited by the appearance of those new personages.Chapter 7 -- The Governor's Hall (**% in)
There are no more uses of "disposition" in The Scarlet Letter.
Typical Usage (best examples)