The school is trying to improve freshman retention.
to keep or continue to have
can take on many specialized meanings which are recognized within context. For example:
- a student’s retention — what a student remembers (holds onto in memory)
- freshman retention — the number of freshman who return to the school as sophomores
- employee retention — how successful a firm is at keeping employees over the long term
- retention bonus — a cash bonus paid to encourage a good employee to stay with a firm
- water retention — the holding of water in the body — as in "a salt-free diet to reduce water retention"
- retention basin — a ponding area — typically intended to hold stormwater