(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionnot controlled by outside forces
- The partitioning of India created two separate and autonomous economies.
- An autonomous judiciary is central to the separation of government powers.
- The Kurds in Northern Iraq want to be at least partially autonomous so that they can decide their own future.
- His teenager is growing increasingly autonomous.
- A self that is only differentiated - not integrated - may attain great individual accomplishments, but risks being mired in self-centered egotism. By the same token, a person whose self is based exclusively on integration will be well connected and secure, but lack autonomous individuality.Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- That is what marriage really means: helping one another to reach the full status of being persons, responsible and autonomous beings who do not run away from life.Paul Tournier
- Anyone who has worked in the Executive Branch knows that it is a far-flung confederation of semi-autonomous baronies, not a hierarchy like a large corporation.Christopher DeMuth -- After the Ascent -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.11289,filter.all/pub_detail.asp (retrieved 06/29/06)
- The robot moved autonomously.
- Therefore, even if the entire world may benefit on net from a global carbon tax, without a proper enforcement mechanism, each autonomous country may have an individual incentive to not sign onto the tax given that everyone else has signed on.Gerald Prante -- The Problem of Using Carbon Taxes to Combat Global Climate Change -- http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/printer/1669.html (retrieved 06/28/06)
- Technically you are an autonomous colony— I hear you told Sansom that.Robert A. Heinlein -- Tunnel In the Sky
- And, most of all, it's autonomous.Malcolm Gladwell -- Outliers
- Those who surrender neither expand their territory nor dictate the terms of their peace and autonomous rule.Henry H. Neff -- The Second Siege
- It can't handle itself autonomously?Dan Simmons -- Hyperion
- It may be true that I've lived a more autonomous lifestyle than EH.Haruki Murakami -- After Dark
- These were students whose paths might never have had reason to cross, given how autonomous the various disciplines at Carnegie Mellon could be.Randy Pausch -- The Last Lecture
- As a member of an independent government recognized by Moscow, I can look for him in eastern Siberia and help him to cross over into our autonomous region.Boris Pasternak -- Doctor Zhivago
- That literature, however, was very slow in coming to a dignified, confident and autonomous estate.Henry L. Mencken -- The American Language
- Tonight, Semi-Autonomous Guard Unit #A-367 is barking.Neal Stephenson -- Snow Crash
- Thus on San Piedro the silent-toiling, autonomous gill-netter became the collective image of the good man.David Guterson -- Snow Falling on Cedars
- You have just dispensed with the 'viable schizophrenia' you conjured up, and you have now switched over to its pulling through and becoming fully autonomous.Roger Zelazny -- My Name is Legion
Dictionary / pronunciation — Vocabulary.com®Dictionary / synonyms — Google®Dictionary list — Onelook.com®