(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionrelated to beauty or good taste — often referring to one's appreciation of beauty or one's sense of what is beautiful
beautiful or tasteful
In Philosophy, "aesthetics" is the study of theories of what is beautiful.
- It was not aesthetically pleasing.
aesthetically = in a manner that is beautiful or tasteful
- She expressed concern about the aesthetic impact of wind turbines in such beautiful countryside.
- It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic.W. Somerset Maugham
- Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated.Paul Rand
- He despised the aesthetic of minimalism.
- He cherishes the arts and aesthetic pleasure.
- The film was an aesthetic success, but it lost money.
- Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern.Alfred North Whitehead
- A history is a written narrative of the past that is guided by the facts, as far as the writer can determine and interpret them, and not by some aesthetic, religious, or other consideration.Bible - MSN Encarta -- http://encarta.msn.com/text_761566700___0/Bible.html (retrieved 05/21/06)
- I am very happy to believe that modern people have to assert a proper balance between getting and spending and their more private lives. I am even content to believe that many people deceive themselves as to their own real interests. But I assert that those are moral and aesthetic issues for individuals...Richard D. North -- Rich Is Beautiful -- http://www.cato.org/research/articles/north-051101.html (retrieved 06/28/06)
- Development threatened the aesthetic value of the coast line.
- And though I had been surrounded by women all my days, my appreciation of them had been aesthetic and nothing more.London, Jack -- The Sea Wolf
- It was the first dawn of the aesthetic emotion.Maugham, W. Somerset -- Of Human Bondage
- This movement advocated rationality as a means to establish an authoritative system of ethics, aesthetics, and knowledge.Age of Enlightenment - Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment (retrieved 05/20/06)
- The planning commission has to balance the desire for wider roadways against a desire for an aesthetically pleasing downtown.
- Kama includes the pleasure of the senses, both aesthetic (refined artistic) pleasures and sensual and sexual pleasure.Hinduism - MSN Encarta -- http://encarta.msn.com/text_761555715___0/Hinduism.html (retrieved 05/21/06)
- Newtonian physics, the intellectual basis and the aesthetic model for Enlightenment scientism, spread the idea that matter behaves in a mathematically predictable manner that can be understood by postulating laws of nature.Deism - Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism (retrieved 05/21/06)
- His aesthetic sense was such that he preferred natural finishes.
- Nature holds the key to our aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction.Edward O. Wilson
- One area of focus of aesthetic philosophy is to establish universal criteria of artistic quality regardless of the form of art being discussed.
aesthetic = attractiveness